To get started, please email your request for space in Michigan’s iTunes U to UMiTunesinfo@umich.edu. All content is subject to review & approval.
The University provides a PDF form covering digital rights, click here to download this form.
Apple has posted a guide for content creators to follow. Look for “Creating Content for iPod + iTunes (PDF)”. We’ve summarized the requirements below.
- MP3 (AAC for enhanced podcasts only)
- Encode high-quality when possible, 128 or 160kbs
- File size limit of 1 GB
- Use the built-in iPod converters in Compressor (H.264 for iPod), QuickTime Pro (Movie to iPod), or iTunes (Convert Selection for iPod). Each of these maintains the aspect ratio of your source file and results in an M4V file containing H.264 video (Low Complexity version of the Baseline profile) and AAC-LC audio.
- Album title
- Album artwork
An image at least as large as 300px X 300px. When browsing in iTunes, the image will scale down to 100px X 100px — any text should be readable at those dimensions. Provide a high-quality jpg, tif or eps. A Block M will be overlaid on the image in the lower left corner.
- Track name
- Track artist
- Album artist
- Album description
- Track comments (maximum of 255 characters, including spaces and punctuation)
- Relevant links (will be linked from an album, subject to approval)
- Genre (defaults to “University of Michigan”)
iTunes Album View
- Album Title
- Album Artwork
- Album Author
- Album Description
- Tab Title
- Track Title
- Track Artist
iTunes Track Info View
When tagging individual files, fill in the Track Name and Artist. Year, Comments, and Genre are recommended, but not required.
- Items highlighted in blue are required.
- Items highlighted in green are optional but highly recommended.
- “Album” does not need to be tagged as iTunes automatically adds this in.
Contributing Individual Files
Contact us for upload instructions.